Mar 6, 2013

Sketching for a Painting

When coming from the east, pioneers tried to reach Independence rock by the 4th of July.  That is why this rock was called Independence rock.  A friend of mine gave me this photograph to use as a reference for my painting.  To do so was a privilege. Ken Ockler is a photographer who takes beautiful photos of nature and wildlife. More of his works can be found at https://www.facebook.com/CanonM2 or at www.onestadia.com.

  





It is important to know how to see things when sketching for a painting.  When I first saw this reference, I saw a big rock, a sky, clouds, and the field of grass with different colors. Instead of seeing them as they are, I learned to see them in shapes; where the value changes. I like how this sketch turned out.  It helped a lot when I was painting.



1 comment:

  1. Nice Mindy! I enjoyed looking through your blog here this morning. Lots of nice stuff. That's cool you did a Walter Rane copy. I love his stuff too and got to work with him a little during my MFA. Anyway hope things are well! How are ya?

    ReplyDelete